Coronado History

Coronado was named for the Coronado Islands off the coast of San Diego. They were first sighted November 8, 1602 by Spanish navigator Sebastian Vizcaino and he named them “Los Coronados” or the “Crowned Ones,” for four martyred saints of ancient Rome whose death had been on that day. These men surveyed the territories now known as San Diego and Coronado yet failed to settle in the area. For almost 200 years the peninsula remained bare.

While still under Spanish control in the early nineteenth century, Coronado was used as a safe harbor by whalers who also began to build hide houses to carry out their work. After Mexico gained its independence from Spain in 1821, land grants were issued for various sections of California, thus creating the grand rancheros and haciendas of this period. On May 15, 1846 a land grant was issued to Don Pedro Carrillo by Governor Pio Pico for “the island or Peninsula in the Port of San Diego.” Carrillo’s ownership of the land was brief as he sold the property just five months later to the American captain of a trading ship, Bezer Simmons, for $1000.00.

The peninsula changed hands several times over the next 39 years until it was purchased by Elisha S. Babcock, Jr., Hampton L. Story, and Jacob Gruendike, for $110,000.00 on November 19, 1885. Babcock then invited his brother-in-law, Heber Ingle, and Josephus Collett, a railroad stockholder, to become investors. Thus the founding fathers of what is today known as Coronado organized the Coronado Beach Company on April 7, 1886.

Work began immediately on the resort community that the Beach Co. investors envisioned. The men hired hundreds of laborers of various nationalities to begin the division and landscaping of lots, the laying of railroad tracks, and the construction of a water and irrigation system. In order to accommodate the growing number of people journeying to the peninsula, Babcock and Story created the San Diego and Coronado Ferry Company on April 16, 1886 with the ferry Coronado completing its first run on August 19th. Babcock and Story leaked news of a proposed hotel on Coronado to the local newspapers which caused a great deal of excitement in the community of San Diego and beyond. With the increased publicity surrounding this grand venture came new interest in the community planning of the peninsula. Thus on November 13, 1886 the Coronado Beach Co. held an auction for the sale of lots ranging in price from $500.00 to $1600.00. By the end of the day, the Beach Company had sold 350 lots for a total of $110,000.00, which was, incidentally, the purchase price of the entire peninsula.

Coronado Beach Company Lot Sale, 1887

The resort community was now coming together with many new residents building homes and businesses. The investors then began to concentrate on the design and construction of the new hotel. The Beach Company hired James and Watson Reid as the architects of the Hotel Del Coronado and work began almost immediately with the groundbreaking ceremony held on March 19, 1887. The Hotel Del Coronado, officially opened its doors to the public on February 19, 1888.

By the fall of 1887 and throughout 1888 Coronado was developing into a community, particularly with the founding of various organizations. The first school session began on January 24, 1887 in the walled tent on Seventh Street and D Avenue until construction of the first schoolhouse was completed in 1888. A Boating Club was organized in late 1887 with an Athletic Club and a Baseball Club to follow in early 1888.

July 1889 proved to be a momentous month in the history of Coronado as John D. Spreckels became an investor in the Coronado Beach Company, buying out Hampton L. Story’s one-third interest. Over the next three years, Spreckels bought controlling interest in the company and became the sole proprietor of the Hotel Del Coronado. He also oversaw the building of the grand mansion on Glorietta Boulevard, the establishment of Tent City, and the sale of North Island to the U.S. government in 1917. While the Hotel Del Coronado became one of California’s most beloved destinations, the resort community increased its visitors with the rise of Tent City. Vacationers flocked to the make-shift city at the foot of the Hotel Del for summer fun. There were swimming facilities, carnival booths, a ferris wheel, a children’s bull fight, aquaplaning, sailing, and numerous activities for the entire family. Tent City remains a fond memory for many residents of Coronado and vacationers from around the world who visited the peninsula between 1900 and 1939.

Tent City and Hotel Del Coronado, 1903 width=

Another important part of Coronado´s history, past and present , is aviation and the military. In 1911, Glenn Curtis opened an aviation camp in what is today Navy Air Station, North Island, which during World War I, the Spreckels family sold to the Navy for $5 million. In 1927, Col. Charles Lindbergh took off on the first leg of his journey to St. Louis, New York and Paris from North Island.

Lt.T.G. Ellyson taxing on Coronado Polo Grounds, 1911

Above information courtesy of Coronado Historical Association and Coronado Chamber of Commerce

For extensive information about Coronado California check out the following links. Coronado history is synonymous with the beach front Hotel Del Coronado. Find out valuable information on highly rated Coronado schools, the island’s best characteristics and Coronado profile. There’s lots to do in this picturesque seaside city, for detailed information visit the following links things to doart and entertainment and Coronado recreation. To gain a visual perspective of Coronado visit Coronado maps.